Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 2 of my New Healthy Lifestyle

I am 26 years old, married 3 years and have 2 kids.  It is time to get back into shape.  I have been an athlete my whole life so I have never had to work too hard at staying in shape.  I always had some kind of practice or workout to go to and never had to really motivate myself.  I also had a father who wouldn't let me quit (thank you, daddy!)  I remember after graduating high school I had to train for my first year of collegiate volleyball.  We had just got back from a water ski trip and I must have strained a muscle.  I was supposed to be running sprints but my leg was hurting so bad I couldn't finish.  My dad said to me "Fine, we can go home.  Everyone else is doing their sprints today and you're missing a day, but fine, let's go home."  Well the guilt trip worked, I finished my sprints.  Limping and crying the way through them.  And of course I got home and my mom was mortified that my dad would make me finish.  It might sound like a horrible story to you, but I love it.  I love that my dad never let us quit and always pushed us.  I think I/we (my brothers and I) are better people because of it.  It translates into every aspect of life, being a wife, mommy, work, friendship, you name it.

Anyway, little side tracked, but my point is this: I feel like now is my time.  Now is my time get my body back into shape and learn to lead a healthier lifestyle.  I want to just be a healthy person, I don't want working out to always be a dreaded thing, something I hate doing.  I want it to be a part of who I am.  Now, I love to eat and I love sweets but I want to learn to eat them with moderation.  Like have 1 cookie instead of 5, not cut sweets out entirely.  For me this is reasonable.  I can do this.  I just take one day at a time, do what I set aside for that day and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow!  Here is what I have planned:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday ~ 6:00 wake & devotions, 7:00 work 8:00 feed Eli & go to the gym
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday ~ 6:30 Run 1 mile, 6:45 stretch & ab workout, 7:15 feed Eli, 7:30 devotions 8:30 start my day

I lost my baby weight right away and since I am tall (6'0") I slimmed down right away.  But I can feel the weight creeping up on me and I can't let it happen.  I know it will be that much harder trying to get it off if I do! (Not to mention my husband is a professional basketball player and is always in shape. ugh.)  So I am starting now.  I want to run with my kids.  I want to be active and fit and feel healthy. 

Well it is Tuesday, day 2 of my quest, and I ran my mile this morning.  So far I have been successful in purposing to do the things I am setting aside to do.  I love the way I feel.  I love feeling organized and accomplishing things.  This might come easy to some people, unfortunately it doesn't to me, so I get excited over my little victories!

Who is with me?  Let's do it together!  Let's be healthier mom's and wives and teach our kids to be active and healthy.  I want my sons to lead a healthy life and it starts with me.

No comments: