Monday, October 25, 2010

Parlez Francais?

I know that a lot of people that read my posts, really don't understand what our life is like.  That is okay, it is a hard thing to understand, I don't think I fully do!  So I thought I would write a little post about what it is like for me, and English-speaking person, to live in a French-speaking world.

I have lived in France a total of 9 months over 2 years really.  I am now entering the longest period of time I have been in France.  It will be a total of 9 months when I leave in May.  Unless I can somehow convince my husband to stay a little longer...  Anyway, when we moved to France I knew no French.  I also had a 6 month old boy.  I studied a lot but it was really hard to get out of the house, specially in a place that rains like Seattle.  Depressing.  So if you know anything about the French language, it is hard to learn to speak it when studying by yourself.  Little example:  'How are you' is 'Comment allez vous?'  Now Americans would pronounce that like it is read.  Nope.  You actually say 'Como tallay vou.'  Who would know that?  That is just a tiny example of how they totally try to confuse you. 

But I still did pretty well studying and learning for myself  and now I have 9 month to get even better. I am determined.  When I was dropping Tae off at school this morning, I was talking to the teachers and they said that I spoke well!  At church last Sunday, I had to introduce our family in French and later people said that they couldn't tell that I didn't speak French well.  A lady stopped and asked directions of my today.  And although I didn't know where it was she was trying to go, I still tried to help and she understood me!  There is a little boy that has become Tae's friend at the basketball games and his mom doesn't speak any English.  So every game I have to speak French to her.  She told me last game that I am doing well!  So I guess the point is that I need to stay encouraged, which is hard for me to do, and keep trying.  I want to be /need to be fluent.  It is in the best interest of myself and my husband that I am.  Then I won't bug him so much, I can make other friends!

So as if it isn't hard enough to move to away from your family and friends, of which both categories I am abundantly blessed, to another country that I don't speak the language.  But God is good and hears our prayers.  I can see Him already providing me with ways to immerse myself and get better. 


So I will keep you all posted with the progression of my French abilities!  Hopefully there will be something to report!  Au Revoir!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I totally know how you feel. It does get easier, trust me. I'm now going on 2 1/2 years here.

Natalia Simmons said...

Oh good, I am so glad to hear that. I feel like I am getting better, but it is a tough language!! I really want to be fluent. I guess I am in the right place then!

Tammi Durso said...

You're doing great! By the time I get there, I'm sure I'll be shocked at how much you know. Don't expect it to come too fast, like you're prone to do. Just make a good effort every day and you'll be sure to make progress!!!